27 July 2011

Favorite Quotes


These are a few of my favorite quotes I found going through my "church box" of notes and quotes and stuff. 

"So many of us make a great fuss of what matters of small consequence. We are so easily offended... I plead with you to control your tempers, to put a smile upon your faces, which will erase anger, speak out with words of love and peace, appreciation, and respect. If you will do this, your lives will be without regret. Your marriages and family relationships will be preserved. You will be much happier. You will do greater good. You will feel a sense of peace that will be wonderful."
President Gordon B. Hinckley "Slow to Anger," Ensign, Nov. 2007, 63-66.

"The Lord would want you to be successful." -Gordon B. Hinckley
He would. You are His sons and His daughters. He has the same kind of earthly love and ambition for you that your earthly parents have. They want you to do well and you can do it. 

"Obedience to God can be the very highest expression of independence. Just think of giving him the one thing, the one gift that He would never take... Obedience - that which God will never take by force - He will accept when freely given. And he will then return to you freedom that you can hardly dream of - the freedom to feel and to know, the freedom to do and the freedom to be, at least a thousand fold more than we offer Him. Strangely enough, the key to freedom is Obedience."
Elder Boyd K. Packer

"Do not allow darkness and gloom to enter into your hearts. I will give you a rule by which you may know that the Spirit which you have is the right Spirit. 
The Spirit of God produces cheerfulness, joy, light and good feelings. Whenever you feel gloomy and despondent and are downcast, unless it be for your sins, you may know it is not the Spirit of God which you have. Fight against it and drive it out of your heart. The Spirit of God is a Spirit of Hope; it is not the spirit of gloom."
George Q. Cannon

"The sure way to peace and happiness in this life and life hereafter is to serve the Lord today and everyday."
From a bookmark I had

"When all is said and done, when you have lived your life and grown as old as I am, you will recognize that is is the simple virtues that count, that make the great differences in our lives. It is better to sleep at night with a clear conscience than to worry oneself sick while living a fraud. When all is said and done, our success in life will not be spelled out in the money we make, in the honors we attain, in the plaudits of men, but in those virtues which become the essence of that which is greatest within each of us."
President Gordon B. Hinckley

"The devil has no power over us only as we permit him. The moment we revolt at anything which comes from God, the devil takes power."
Joseph Smith

As you make a habit of talking to God through prayer, you will come to know him and draw near to Him. Just remember that Heavenly Father is always ready to hear and answer prayers.

"Live your life in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you."

"Patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can - working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!"
Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Continue in Patience," Ensign, May 2010, 57.

With Integrity
I want to remember who I am
And not just once a week.
I want to represent the Lord
Each time I think and speak.

I want to be His witness
In all things and places, too.
I want to emulate Him
In the many things I do.

I want to be His servant
With my heart and soul and mind.
I want to seek His lost sheep
And not quit until I find.

I want to praise  Him always
and make Him proud of me.
I want to do with with my heart
And with integrity.


Sister Julie B. Beck has counseled sisters to prioritize where they spend their energy. Influence and power come when we prioritize correctly. she suggests 3 categories:
1. Essential (things that if are not taken care of, the blessings of eternal life are jeopardized)
2. Necessary (things necessary to create an environment of climate where the Spirit of the Lord would be)
3. Nice to do (crafts, hobbies, recreational reading, movies, travel, lunches with friends)
Make goals, set goals, work towards something

"To walk with the Lord, we have to know what is essential, what is necessary, and what is nice to do."
Julie B. Beck

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE UNASHAMED
I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed. 
The dye has been cast.
I have stepped over the line.
The decision has been made.
I am a disciple of Jesus Christ.
I won't look back, let up, slow down, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I'm finished and done with low living, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tainted visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need pre-eminence, positions, promotions, plaudits or popularity. I now live by faith, lean on His
presence, walk with patience, am uplifted by prayer, and labor with power. My face is set, my gait is fast, and my goal is Heaven. My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear! I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, divided or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, or let up, until I have stayed up stored up, and paid up of the cause of Christ. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till I know, and work till He stops me. And when He returns for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My banner will be clear.

ahh. Love those quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment