21 March 2011

Where am I?

{ music }

Where am I right now? The Eliza R. Snow Building (Music Building) on a bench listening to the crazy band kids sing and yell about important matters of nothing. One characteristic I love about them is the giggling. There is always lots of giggling. 
I can say things about these people because I am one of them. I'm more of the quiet type of band kid, but nonetheless, I'm still a band kid. 
It all started in 5th grade. My dad took me to a Music Shop in Wichita, KS where we would find an instrument for me to play. I really wanted to play the flute, but my dad said I didn't have the right kind of mouth. (:/) So we went for the brass instruments. I can remember an older man asking me to "buzz my lips" for him. I can also remember the embarrassment that came after I tried. Brass players don't even buzz, they vibrate their lips with the mouthpiece. duhh, old man. 
We tried multiple instruments, and after I finished trying out the French horn, dad looked at me and said something along the lines of, "I really think you should play this one." So I did :)
Can you believe I've been playing for the following years:
5th grade, 6th grade, 7th grade, 8th grade, 9th grade, 10th grade, 11th grade, 12th grade and my 2nd semester of college??
I think throughout my high school experience, I was really playing just to play. My dad was my band teacher 7th - 12th grade, and my grandparents were big into the "music" thing. I didn't want to disappoint them. I wanted to make them happy, so I kept playing. 
Over the years, I have learned to love it. After all of the rehearsals and my efforts, I began seeing my hard work pay off. It became something to work on, and the goal to work towards becoming better. After my first semester of college with zero band, I missed it. I was afraid I would loose my ohmbahser (lip muscles - not sure how to spell it..) and have to re-learn how to play. Luckily I was fine and I can't even tell you how much I enjoy playing my French Horn. 
Band has been such a big part of my life, I hardly left room for anything else. Band has made me who I am today. It has helped me realize the importance of music, social skills, and listening. Sometimes I wish I could've been that cheerleader, or that soccer player, but if I could do it all over again, I would always stay a band kid.  

{ 7th grade band - with dad :) }

- Have a good Monday - 

No comments:

Post a Comment